Actually, Poems Written in Early Youth was what I had in mind.
Eliot was lyrical before he was base.

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/02/04 10:34AM >>>
If by "very early" you mean "Inventions of the March Hare," I think
Neruda would have found it far more disturbing and repugnant, based on
the reasons suggested here.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/02/04 9:24 AM >>>
Too bad he never read any of Eliot's very early or later poetry. From
what I've read of Neruda, he would have really liked Eliot's lyrical
periods.
I'm not terribly surprised to hear such extreme remarks coming from
Neruda, though. Thanks for sharing them!

Cheers,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/01/04 01:47PM >>>
'When Fadayev declared in Wroclaw that, if hyenas used a pen or a
typewriter
they would write like T.S. Eliot or the novelist Sartre, I think that
was an
insult to the animal kingdom.  I do not believe that creatures endowed
with
intelligence and the power of expression would make such an obscene
religion out
of the annihilation and repugnant vice, as those two so-called 'masters'
of
Western culture have done.'  - Pablo Neruda