Call for Papers for a Panel

“Visuality and Non-narrativity in German Historical Representations in the Nineteenth Century”

to be proposed for the Annual Conference “Narrative: An International Conference” of the Society for the Study of Narrative Literature (April 7-10, 2005, Louisville, KY).

Recent debates on history emphasize the non-narrative aspect of historical representations. What are formal, aesthetic, and cultural elements of non-narrative historical representation? Does even non-narrative historical representation still require certain narrative forms? In our panel we would like to explore the visual as a key aspect to define non-narrativity.

The nineteenth century is often termed as the century in which “history” boomed and developed into a concept that not only gained philosophical but also scholarly relevance. This interest in history is – particularly in Germany – often connected to the realm of academic historicism, which aimed to represent history by means of the grand narrative, metahistorical presumptions, and the historical individual who is supposed to make sense out of history.

In contrast to the traditional schemes of historical representation in the nineteenth century, our panel would like to investigate its different forms of representations that are counter-productive towards the grand narrative. This includes historical representations in German Romanticism that built up a different tradition to the academic discourse of historical writing and (non-)narrative forms in Realism. We would like to explore anti-narrative forms of German historical representations that can be found in the writings of historians as well as in literary historical fiction. We are particularly interested in contributions that compare literature and historiographical representations.

This exploration of anti-narrative forms can be contextualized with media inventions of the nineteenth century, such as photography. In what ways did photography inspire non-narrative forms of historical representation? What new modes of remembering and representing the historical past were created?

Presentations should be fifteen to twenty minutes long, and in English.

Please, e-mail a proposal of max. 600 words (including a brief summary of about 150 words) as word or rtf-file attachment, and brief vitae, by September 22, 2004 to both panel organizers.

Panel Organizers:

Dr. Stephan Jaeger
Assistant Professor of German
Department of German & Slavic Studies
University of Manitoba
328 Fletcher Argue
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Phone: 204-474-9930
Fax: 204-474-7601
Email: [log in to unmask]

Dr. Kathrin Maurer
Assistant Professor
German Studies
University of Arizona
301 Learning Services Building
P.O. Box 210105
Tucson, AZ 85721-0105, USA
Phone: 520-626-2904
Fax: 520-626-8268
Email: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

For further information on the conference, visit the conference website www.louisville.edu/conference/narrative

All participants of the conference must join the Society for the Study of Narrative Literature (for more information on SSNL visit www.narrativesociety.org). ******************* The German Studies Call for Papers List Editor: Stefani Engelstein Assistant Editor: Karen Eng Sponsored by the University of Missouri Info available at: http://www.missouri.edu/~graswww/resources/gerlistserv.html