Cooley Lake CA (Clay Co) continues to have good habitat for waders,
although numbers were far from impressive this morning. In addition to
the obligatory Great Blues, Great Egrets, and Green Herons, there were
at least 4 Little Blue Herons and one very tame juvenile Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron. Also several Marsh Wrens vocalizing, and a Willow
Flycatcher. Several Pied-billed Grebes and many Wood Ducks.

There is not any shorebird habitat at Cooley Lake right now, but lots
of water. If we dry out a little, the east side of the area holds some
promise as that water isn't very deep and the vegetation in spots is
minimal.

Driving 210 Hwy between 291 Hwy and I-435, there were numerous fluddles
with one or two shorebirds each. I didn't pull over to check these out,
but this whole area may be worth keeping an eye on as shorebird
migration progresses.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)