Indeed, without rules chaos would reign.

The rule of primacy cuts short potential "angels dancing on the head of
a pin" type arguments.  However, this rule does have its shortcomings of
a similar nature as the primogeniture custom/law of inheritance which
cuts short sibling squabbles, but makes no allowance for relative
merit.  Just as the eldest son may be the least able to manage the
estate, the first-given name may not be the most logical choice.

Perhaps the AOU committee will re-open this issue and give consideration
to less confusing, more descriptive/accurate species name options.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO