Barry Jones and I did the bird part of a survey at Wildcat Park, Joplin, MO.
on
Sat. morning, 7-17-04.  We had 50 species.  Newton County.  Our five
favorites:

Yellow-crowned Night Heron - Six young -of- the- year.  Two near one nest
and four at
                                                   another nest.  Also two
other unsuccessful nests.  (One may have
                                                   blown out of the tree
three weeks ago.  The other acted as
                                                   if eggs were being
incubated but was  not occupied on  a later date).

Mississippi Kite                     -An adult was observed three times
during the morning survey.
                                                  (We were not able to find
a kite nest this year in the Joplin area.
                                                  The most kites observed at
one time was three adults.  There were
                                                  four places where they
were observed at here in the Joplin city limits)

Broad-winged Hawk              -One adult.  We approached real close on one
occasion while the
                                                  hawk was having brunch.
Looked like the prey item was a frog, but
                                                  not for sure.

Prothonotary Warbler
Eastern Towhee

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin MO.