Larry,

I have worked for the airline industry for the last 16 years and have also kept tabs on the scissor-tailed flycatcher the whole time.  I hired on at TWA in 1988.  This is at the 112th Street address of KC at the airport, and they had just arrive then as "occasional" sightings.  Since that time the scissor-tailed has been a regular nester in and around the overhaul base and the airport itself off of Mexico Ave.

A couple of guys that I work with live in Platte City,  and have kept me advised of the movement of the birds since I had brought it to their attention.  As far as I know,  until recently,  Platte City is the fartherest north that I can say that the birds have nested and return.  I know that this is not the northwest part of Missouri,  but the slow movement of the scissor-tailed flycatcher north has been in the works.

To see scissor-tailed flycatcher at the southern part of St. Joe in my opinion, is quite amazing and does show that the territory is expanding.

Jim Zellmer
Blue Springs,  MO

Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I suppose I should rephrase my question to:

What is the most northerly location in Missouri where Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers have been known to nest?

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County

In a message dated 7/7/2004 11:16:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Northwest Missouri before, Jim Zellmer earlier posted that several pair have
> been around the overhaul base where he works for several years. The overhaul
> base is next to MCI airport.
>
> Bob Fisher

* *
* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
* Site: http://www.mobirds.org *