From: Marcia Karp
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Jul-20 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: What about Pereira?

Peter Montgomery wrote:

>Periera is a common name in Portugal. ...
>
>I'm not sure if the name has any meaning in Portuguese
>but one might be tempted to do a bit of latinate parsing
>to come up with father (pere) and anger (ire).

Peter,
    "Pereira"  is Portugeuse in origin, and means "peartree" in English;
someone named "Pereira" is likely to be a Sephardic Jews.  It was taken
as a surname by Jews who were forced to become Christians.  Trees, and
as Sara wrote in a recent post, cities, too, were classes of names the
converts took.

Marcia