As I left the Englewood Cafe in Independence, I saw a small buteo flying steadily from south to north with the stiff, shallow wingbeats of a Broad-winged Hawk. Although without binoculars, I noted the pale underwings with dark borders. The tail was not spread, and I was not able to see the broad tail bands, which usually cinch the ID.

I do believe the bird was a Broad-winged Hawk. I used to see them in Mt. Washington Cemetery years ago, and I suppose it is still a possible rare breeder in the Kansas City area. However, I have not seen one hereabouts in June for twenty years or so.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri