I had a strange experience today. I went to Watkins Mill S.P. and played the Prairie Warbler tape at the location where a Prairie Warbler set up shop last year -- i.e. where the narrow trail into the woods behind the first bench north of the campground parking lot opens out into a field of cedars and other bushes. Instantly, a warbler of the appropriate size and shape flew right at me, then veered off and went into a bush. I never saw it again. Nor could I be sure that I heard it. (I thought I did hear it once, but my hearing is lousy, and there were Field Sparrows singing near by).

Generally, Prairie Warblers are one of the most responsive birds to tapes played on their territory. I expected this bird to get excited and to allow me to see it well. That did not happen.

Has anyone else had Prairie Warbler at that location this year? If so, I think I'll count the bird that came in to my tape. If not, I'm not so sure.

I went on to Range Line Road east of Stewartsville in an effort to find Bobolinks. I drove it twice, down and back. Some good-looking habitat, quite a few singing Western Meadowlarks and a plethora of Dickcissels, but no Bobolink.

From there I did Lake Contrary and Sugar Lake at Lewis & Clark S.P. The former has filled up nicely. The latter still has lots of shore bird habitat, which was occupied only by numerous Killdeers today. 5 Pelicans were also there. Everyone else is assuming that their White Pelicans are from the missing 25,000, so why not account for those at Sugar Lake that way too?

Bean Lake also has not filled up very much. Given all the rain we have had, I wonder why Lake Contrary has filled up and Bean and Sugar lakes have not. In any event, Sugar Lake looks good for summer shore birding, especially if we get enough rain to keep it from drying out further and getting covered with vegetation.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri