Needed a quick reprieve, so went to the Katy Trail.

The male PAINTED BUNTING continues at the Katy Trail SP/Weldon Springs
Access area in St. Charles co, 6/22/04.  I parked close to the far end of
the parking lot and heard that it was singing in the vegetation along the
slough. Did not locate the perch from where the bird was singing, but saw
this blue/red bird headed my way, strafing me as I was sitting in the car (I
DID NOT play a tape/CD or even pish. Almost had a PABU in my lap!)
It landed in one of the trees at the far end of the parking lot and
continued to sing away, broadcasting for a new mate (they mate 2-4 times per
year according to info on the web)

An FYI to those that are still looking for this bird.
This is the THIRD year that a male PABU (same bird?) has appeared here in
the Spring/Summer, so it is a probable breeder (no DOCUMENTED nests,
nestlings, copulation, even female birds though and if anyone sees any signs
of breeding, please document) so it will most likely be hanging around until
the end of the season.
It is singing more vigorously now and is easier to find. (even I am finding
it most times I go to this area!)

Good Summer birding,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.