Joe Eades pointed me to what appears to be a reliable place for Black Vulture in the Saint Louis area near St. Genevieve.  To get there from St. Louis take I-55 south to St. Genevieve area and go east on Highway 32 to Highway 61.  Go north (left) on Highway 61 until you pass the Mississippi Lime plant (impossible to miss it is large and it stinks).  Go north about 1.4 miles to Industrial River Road and turn right.  Go down this road about 1.3 miles to a three way stop sign.  If you continue you should see a large quarry on the right.  About 0.5 miles after the stop sign is gravelly area on the side of the road where two or three cars can easily pull off.  I saw Black Vulture there between about 9:15 and 9:45 Sunday.  The best time probably varies with the conditions.  There are numerous Turkey Vultures and other raptors are present.  I saw a Peregrine which may be nesting in the area.  A scope is useful as the birds may be far away.  The road in question leads to the quarry and is probably filled with large trucks during the week.  Joe also reported seeing Black Vultures across the river in Illinois near Kidd Lake coming into roost in the evening.

David Becher
St. Louis