I have been contacted by some Canadian birders, who will be in KC this week and who can get away from their activity for only 4-5 hours, either Tursday or Saturday. They have to be back at the down town Marriott by 11:00 a.m. I have agreed to take them out Thursday or to try to get someone to go out with them Saturday. Their target birds include:

Mississippi Kite
Scisor-tailed Flycatcher
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Henslow's Sparrow
Common Moorhen

(Their list also includes Greater Prairie Chicken, King, Black and Virginia Rails, Barn Owl and Worm-eating Warbler).

If I had a full day to work with, I could probably find the kite, flycatcher, night heron and sparrow by going south to Taberville, Schell Osage and 4-Rivers. Or I could find the Moorhen at Squaw Creek or look for the Moorhen and perhaps Virginia Rail at the Columbia Waste Water ponds. But any of those trips would take more than 5 hours, round trip, from down town KC.

Query: Is the Overland Park Mississippi Kite reliable? If so, exactly where should we go for it? Does anyone have any Scissor-tails and/or Henslow's and/or Yellow-crowned Night Herons staked out within an hour of the kite's location?

Are there Henslow's at or near the strip mine area in Linn County? Does anyone have a sure bet Scissor-tailed staked out down there?  If the Overland Park Kite is reliable, maybe we could pick it up, then go down to Linn County and get Henslow's and Scissor-tailed (maybe even YCNH) and get back to KC by 11:00 a.m.

How about in Missouri? Does anyone have a sure bet Scissor-tailed staked out within an hour's drive from down town KC? Are the Henslow's still present at Burr Oak? What would our chances be of finding them there?

(If the Canadians came here by air, I'm wondering if they can get Scissor-tailed when they go back to the airport. I have looked on the fence along Mexico Ave. a couple of times and seen only Western Kingbird there this year, but I recall a post by Jim Zellmer that several pairs bred near the overhaul base last year.)

Incidentally, I have not refound the Mississippi Kite that I saw in Indepdendence in late May, nor was the Yellow-Crowned Night Heron that I saw in Mt. Washington Cemetery in early May there the last two times I went there.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri