From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Edge Wade
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 10:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Birding in Maine

I can add a resounding YES! to Bob's endorsement of Captain Norton's
operation.  Four central Missourians went out with him July 5, 2 years
ago--or more correctly, with his son, who now runs the boat.  Capt.
Barna met us at the dock (in a dense fog--the weather, not him) and we
had a delightful talk while the fog dissipated.

I apologize that I have deleted the first message, so some of what
follows may be off topic.

You should know that reservations are required (with deposit--I think it
was the total, actually), refunded if trip is cancelled due to weather
(that fog thing).  Also, there are limited numbers of visitors allowed
on the island each day and the tour operators have an allotment.  Norton
has the most.  If you are a latecomer to a boat, you may be able to ride
out to, but not land on the island.

If you land on the island be ready for a special treat in birding!  The
birds land on the roof of the blind and patter overhead.  You can hear
the little ones in the burrows.  You can see every fieldmark on several
species.  And they provide you with a stick (to hold upright; not to
swing) to discourage terns from drawing blood from your pate.

You may wish to check out the Maine listserve (see Siler's webpage,
www.Birdingonthe.net) to see what is being reported and possibly to
identify someone to contact for additional information.

Other things to consider in conjunction with a Maine visit:

Biddeford Pool is, as Bob noted, a place to consider--good variety of
saltwater species.  Parking is a dicey thing--limited to a few places at
a restaurant, and you must pay or risk being towed--the latter is not a
good option.

Moosehead? NWR near Calais on the Canadian border (pronounced to rhyme
with callous) offers good opportunity to tromp around and has good
variety--this NWR was established to protect/study American Woodcocks!

Consider going into Canada.  We took the ferry over to Grand Manan
Island.  We had good weather going both ways.  From the ferry we saw 4
species of shearwaters, Black-legged Kittiwake and alcids.  We had good
birding on Grand Manan, including Black Guillemots, eiders, etc.

Consider a side trip to New Hampshire for Bicknell's Thrush.  Though
late, they might be possible in the White Mts., and other species are
present (grouse, etc.)

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO