During a visit to family in northern Wright County (5 miles south of
Competition) on Saturday I took a walk up to their hay field and was
delighted to find a HENSLOW'S SPARROW and a PRAIRIE WARBLER.  The Henslow's
was in a shrub at the fence that separates the field from a weedy area
that's not hayed.  The Prairie Warbler was also at the fence line around 50
yards away, perched in a young cedar.  Also saw a N. Parula near the house.

The question concerns Chuck-will's-widow vocalization.  While listening to
Whip-poor-wills on Friday night I heard an intermittent voice that sounded
like the "will's-widow" part of "chuck-will's-widow."  The first note on my
CD sounds softer than the the following notes, but is it likely that the
first note would be inaudible (I did have my hearing aids in :-) )?

Sherry McCowan
St. Louis, Missouri