There are lots of places to bird in Maine. However, the first week of August
is a difficult time about which to make recommendations. Except for shore
birds, it is in between the breeding season and the fall migration. Some of
the adult warblers have already begun to migrate, but they are pretty much
unnoticed, except by mist netters. Singing has stopped and nesting is about
over, so it is difficult to say that a particular passerine species will be
in a particular place. That makes it difficult to tell people how to locate
target birds.

The above excuses to the contrary notwithstanding, some of the boreal birds
should still be around, if you look for them. You should be able to find
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher and Canada Warbler in
boggy habitats. Get into spruce/fir habitats and you should find birds like
Myrtle and Magnolia Warblers. Brushy habitats near evergreens may produce
Nashville, Black-throated Blue and/or Chestnut-sided. You will probably have
to go to Mt. Katahdin to get breeding Bay-breasted and Mourning.
Blackburnians breed in tall spruces in coastal areas kept cool by salt
water, I'm not sure how far south. If I were only going to be in south
eastern Maine, I would just try to get away from civilization hit some
different habitats and expect to find things. There are lots of interesting
breeders there, of course. These include Winter Wren, Broad-winged Hawk,
Hermit Thrush, Dark-eyed Junco and White-throated Sparrow. Palm Warblers and
Northern Waterthrushes also breed in appropriate boggy habitats. Both
species of crossbill are a possibility, but they are sporadic.

Biddeford Pool is a good place for shorebirds in south eastern Maine. I have
also seen Sooty Shearwaters from shore there.

I understand that both species of Sharp-tailed Sparrows can be seen fairly
near one another. I would check out salt marsh habitat around Biddeford Pool
for Salt-marsh STS. I don't know where the Nelson's STS hang out.

It's probably too late to go for breeding Bicknell's Thrush on a mountain
top.

I'm not sure how far south Black Guillemots breed. I know you could find
them around Bar Harbor, but that is up the road a piece. You have to go a
ways and get off shore for Atlantic Puffins. If you can get out into the
Gulf of Maine on a boat, expect to see Northern Gannet, Greater Shearwater,
Sooty Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-petrel and maybe Manx Shearwater. Jaegers
are also a possibility, Parasitic being most common close to shore.

Good luck!

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri