I've seen black-headed grosbeaks in California, but never in Missouri.
Last Saturday, at the beaver pond on the Lost Valley trail (thanks to
those who wrote me how to get there) I saw a bird I'd call a BH Grosbeak
if I thought they sat around here in the summer, but I don't think they
do.  I saw him briefly and only from directly behind, but I got a good
look at a black head and black wings separated by an orangy-brown back
Is there another bird about that size that looks like this from the back?

I'm just beginning to learn bird songs, and don't know many.  While
walking up the Lost Valley trail, I heard from the canopy a VERY LOUD
series of three-part songs.  I think there were two birds doing a
call-and-response.  The timbre of the sound put me in mind of a
bugle--and it was that loud!  The pattern of the song put me in mind of a
peewee (which it certainly was not), but the notes were not slurred and
the third note was higher than the first (the second note lower than the
others). Is that enough info for anyone to ID this for me?

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!