I have been unable to grow sedum in my garden because the house finches eat them down to sticks.  I thought it was rabbits or insects at first, but then I caught them in the act.
Layne Van Brunt

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jun 8, 2004 8:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wacky bird behavior

Gardeners are known to swap advice on how to keep rabbits or deer from
eating their plants; what about grackles?  I planted a bunch of canna bulbs,
which sprouted up pretty quickly.  But once they got about 6 inches tall, I
noticed that most of the leaves were shredded or broken off a few inches
above the ground.  I assumed it was rabbits, but I have seen grackle parents
and their immature ones ripping up those leaves with their beaks!  Do you
suppose they're eating bits of leaves or savagely attacking bugs on the
leaves?  Anyway, it was unusual; has anyone else seen this?.  I put some
little trellis things around the bed and attached swaying pieces of aluminum
foil to see if that will deter them long enough for the plants to grow.
I'll let you know if it works.

New yard bird: song sparrow.  Also, add blue jays and chickadees to the list
of baby birds still wandering around my backyard.

Stay cool!

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO., MO