I ran a BBS route this morning at Busch C.A. in St. Charles County.  There
were lots of birds to see and hear.
Saw 1 male and 1 female BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, together, in the thick
vegetation on the far side of
Lake 30.

Along road B I heard dueting BARRED OWLs.

===========================

Later, I stopped at the Weldon Spring access to the Katy Trail and it was my
first opportunity this year to look
for "the" PAINTED BUNTING.  I found him, singing, at the far end of the
parking lot.  I got one photo which I
will send to Patrick H. and ask him to post on the ASM web.  The bird left
the tree line and flew down, in the direction of the field, to a short plant
stub.  After a minute he disappeared into the vegetation.

===========================

On the way home I made a quick stop at Little Creve Coeur Marsh.  Along the
south levee were:
-- 2 Great Egrets
-- 7 Little Blue Herons
-- 2 Green Herons
-- 2 Wood Ducks
-- 5 Blue-winged Teal

LCCM has been the most reliable place in this area, for me, for NORTHERN
BOBWHITE.  I see, or hear, them every time I
go there.  Also saw a first summer ORCHARD ORIOLE.

Along the marsh edge, north of the red sheds, I heard an ALDER FLYCATCHER.
It sang three times in five
minutes, and the voice was distinctively different than the Willow
Flycatchers I've heard this spring.  I'd
describe the sound as something like "reee-beeer," compared to the
"fitz-bew" of the Willows.

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO