I have 'walking onions' in my garden -- green onions which sprout up fairly tall, develop clusters of mini-onions on the tips, fall over and the clusters root (the onion walks).  ANYhow, have seen grackles break off or pull strips out of the onion leaves, to preen with.  Have seen similar behaviour using small mothballs (put out to discourage rabbits & squirrels in the annual bulbs).  Have at least 3 or 4 varieties of sedum; to the best of my observations, the house finches have left it alone.  Also, now that i think of it, i grow elephant garlic, and i've never seen those leaves used by the grackles.

Kenneth Thompson
 Moline Acres (north StLouis County) MO