I went to Lewis & Clark this afternoon. Lots of shore birds of eleven species were present. Also rosy-breasted Franklin's Gulls, Black Terns and one white tern which looked gray enough to be a Common. The shore birds were mostly the usual suspects, with White-rumped Sandpiper being the most common and Pectoral Sandpiper next. (I was surprised to see so many Pectorals so late.) I did NOT see the Sanderling or Solitary Sandpiper reported by Kristi, not did I see Dunlin. I DID see 1 Hudsonian Godwit and one late Baird's Sandpiper.

Also of interest (to me) were the gathering collection of late waterfowl, including two Snow Geese, one White-fronted Goose, 1 Am. Wigeon and quite a few Gadwall, Shovelers, Blue-winged Teal, Mallards and Wood Ducks.

If I am correct, the water level was actually DOWN somewhat since my last visit, despite recent rains, a Little Platte out of its banks and a very high Missouri River nearby. What's going on? Bean Lake also has failed to fill up. Why is all of this moisture not affecting these oxbow lakes?

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri