Carl Gerhadt e-mailed me that he made several attempts to post the following, without success. Therefore, I am posting it for him.

  To: [log in to unmask]
  From: Carl Gerhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: photos and video of putative reeve

taken when the putative reeve was being observed two days ago. I have burned all of this material onto a CD and will submit it for review.

There are two issues: (1) whether the bird in the photos and videos is the bird being described by Edge Wade and others; and (2) if so, whether that bird is a reeve. My photos posted on the web are the bird that Edge pointed out to me, but I think it is important that she confirm that. There a couple of birds in the video, one of which may be the bird in question. If so, then I have video (Canon XL-1 at effectively about 3900 mm) of the head, breast, legs, etc. in different lighting conditions and with about the same magnification as the cropped digital photos (Canon 10D - effectively about 850 mm) already posted. I think it is important again that Edge confirm that the bird(s) in the video is the one she had been describing. Unfortunately, the digital video file is huge and this precludes posting on the web without unacceptable compression.

My impression from the video is that in some poses and lighting the bird is a pec, but in others, it is either an unusual pec or something else. I will leave this to the experts, but again I stress that we need to be sure that this is the bird being described by Edge, whose careful written descriptions should carry considerable weight.

Carl Gerhardt

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri