From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Larry Lade
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 4:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Backyard Birds St.Joseph

This morning (with high winds) I had 10+ White-throated Sparrow in my
backyard, along with the usual suspects. Also coming out from the brush pile
once in
a while was a Lincoln's Sparrow.

Yesterday I discovered a Brown Thrasher with three uniformly colored brown
eggs in the nest. At Lake Contrary "Mom Killdeer" was trying to keep her
four
little chicks from wandering too far away from her.

The Spring Meeting was great (even if it did rain a little). I ended up with
36 new year birds. Frances Cramer, Georgia Hathorne and I stopped in at
Caney
Picnic Area, Glade Top Trail south of Ava, MO, and got great looks at the
Greater Roadrunner. One, possibly two, were seen by us. We watched as one
kept
moving around the area with a small lizard in its beak. It acted like it was
wanting to take the morsel to a nest site. Perhaps it was an offering for
"its
mate"? At any rate, it did not consume the lizard while we were watching it
prance back and forth around the picnic area. Maybe they are nesting?

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County