Today a woman (from CA) informed me her husband was hunting a turkey here
in MO because it was of the Osceola (not sure of spelling) specie.  He'd
shot all the other specie except the Mexican.  I professed ignorance about
differences in wild turkey.  She told me there were 4 distinct  specie - a
Western, the one in the Mid-West, an Eastern and one in Florida area, plus
the Mexican.  My question:  are there really distinct differences?  Or is a
Turkey by any other name still a Turkey??  From her descriptions of the
birds, it sounded like nothing more than variations in feather colors -
maybe a tame bird thought the gobbler across the fence had a fancier strut
than the one next coop??   I also didn't quite understand what they were
going to do with the bird if he shot it - take it back to CA, strapped on
the hood of the car, maybe??

                                                        Ann Wethington
                                                        The ignoramus in N Phelps Co.