Jo Ann asks about the status of Bewick's Wren in sw MO.
I think that if you drive around Ozark brushy roads with
homesteads and stuff laying around, like  old cars and such,
you'll hear one every few miles or so.  Sure enough, I heard
one singing in our backyard just yesterday!  Joplin, Jasper County.

I usually hear at least one on my three mile bluebird route, Newton
County.  Last season Bewick's Wren nested unsuccessfully in a
bluebird house on my Cherokee Co. KS (se KS) route.

We have several winter records now too.  Jo Ann, were you at the
sparrow workshop in Feb. at Prairie State Park a couple of years ago
when we all got to hear the Bewick's singing north of the park?
Plus one was on the back porch a couple of winter's ago here in Joplin.
By the way, Dave and I didn't hear one this morning in McDonald Co.
So, I'll go uncommon spring and summer and rare in the winter in sw MO.
How's that for pure science.

If you haven't fallen asleep yet, or deleted this note, then you may be interested
to know that Douglas James, Univ. of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR. 72701,
is requesting assistance to answer Jo Ann's question.  His request was posted in
"Ornithological Newsletter"  Number 159, March 2004.  He has been asked by
USF&WS to research if...Bewick's Wren warrant consideration for listing as
threatened in the southeastern USA.

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin MO.