Today was a "work day" at Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City. I went up early to
drive the auto loop before the "work day" began (9 AM). I arrived about 6:30 AM
and saw the following birds of note:

SANDHILL CRANE at Cattail Pool, calling at first and then two adults flew out
to the south and landed deeper in the interior of Cattail Pool.

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS and GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES were thick in the cattails
of Cattail Pool.

I heard several SORA calling in this same location.

I saw several WINTER WRENS on the northern end of the road that parallels
Mallard Marsh.

GREAT HORNED OWL with chick on the "old eagle nest" west of the other eagle
nest which was being attended by an adult BALD EAGLE. I did not see any eaglets.

Hundreds of shorebirds were in Mallard Marsh on the west side of the refuge.
Late afternoon is the best time to view this area because then the sun will be
going down behind you.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County