We started the day at Busch Wildlife Area in St. Charles Co. where we birded several areas.  The Fallen Oak Nature Trail produced Parula and a very bright Pine Warbler as well as goldfinches, chickadees, and the like.  There was a brief glimpse of what might have been the Spotted Towhee at Lake 21, but no one got a good enough look to be sure.  The shorebird area at Lake 33 produced a Yellow-throated Warbler, several Swamp Sparrows and a variety of Field, Song, and other sparrows.  One pond is almost dry and the other flooded.  The only shorebird was a Wilson's Snipe, but there were a few ducks including a number of Woodies and a Great Egret flew over.  Other birds included a Sharp-shinned Hawk, Barred Owl, Northern Harrier and vast numbers of Eastern Towhees.  After lunch we went to Tower Grove Park to see the Great Horned Owls.  There were lots of Hermit Thrushes and Yellow-rumped Warblers and a fair number of Kinglets.  There was still at least one Fox Sparrow and both Chipping and Field Sparrow were present.  Overall a good day despite the drizzle.

David Becher