I have successfully raised many generations of Purple Martins (PUMA). It has
been my experience that the more mature Martins more aggressively protect
their home from House Sparrows (HOSP). I have to remove nests early on in
the season, especially if there are more nest sites than PUMAs. Once the
resident PUMAs establish their nests, I close off the other nest sites. From
this point on, the PUMAs fend off the HOSPs almost 100% of the time.

I have not read or heard of anyway to prevent HOSPs from entering the nest
site if it is empty. There are traps that can be installed in some nest
sites that will allow one to "remove" a HOSP or European Starling if they
venture into the nest site.

Patrick
Patrick Harrison
Shelbyville, Shelby County, Missouri