I read about the bombing to make birds rarer quote some time ago in two or three other publications, so sadly it is not a joke.  It is scary though that someone with that logic has bombs...

Steve Griffaw

Jim Holsen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Mike -- This was certainly not an April Fool joke. From an editorial in
the New York Times for Tuesday, March 23, 2004. Under the heading of "An
Injudicious Nominee:"

Referring to William Haynes II, the Defense Department's top lawyer, who
has been nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth District, the
editorial said: "Mr. Haynes' trial experience is thin. He has tried only
one case to a verdict. His ten 'most significant' cases, as reported to
the Senate, included one in which his team argued that bombing an island in
the Northern Marianas did not violate the Migatory Bird Treaty Act. The
bombing can enhance bird-watching, his team said, because people 'get more
enjoyment spotting a rare bird than they do spotting a common one.' Mr
Haynes says he only supervised the case and was unaware of this bizarre
claim. But that statement raises questions about his supervision."

Who would have thought of an argument like that? I thought it was quite
imaginative. We should all be lawyers. No wonder people thought you were
passing on an April Fool joke.

Jim Holsen
Kirkwood (St. Louis County)

* *