Riverlands EDA, ST. Charles co., 3/22/04
OK, I'm about 90% sure this is an EARED GREBE in breeding plumage because:
- extended smallish/thin all dark neck
- peak is the middle of the head (not the back)
- just looks more upright,smaller and thinner.
It was working the area of Ellis Bay between the end of the Least Tern point and back to the alcove of Ellis Island mostly by itself, but lost it amongst the large raft of near-by waterfowl. Had to leave so didn't re-find it, but don't think it flew.
The 10% hesitation is because of the distance at which I saw this bird.
YES, there are several HORNED GREBES (~ 1.5 dozen) all in various stages of plumage in amongst the large groups of waterfowl, but none in full breeding plumage that I could see. (LOTS of birds/waterfowl to sort through. Most birds I have seen there in a while actually)
ONE Good thing - NO WIND, so viewing was much easier.

Had the one AM. GOLDEN PLOVER at Feltes & Saale, St. Charles co.

Also had ~ 12 GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES (probably more +) still at the Hwy 370/Earth City exit Horse Stables. One male was chasing a female. Will be interesting if they hang around to breed.

Good birding,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.