Started at Tower Grove Park, where we saw mostly the expected species.  There were both species of kinglets, Hermit Thrush, Winter Wren, Fox, Song, and White-throated Sparrows.  YB Sapsuckers and Brown Thrashers both appeared to be numerous.  There was no sign of the Screech Owl at the hole, alas, but it was very cloudy.  A visit to Horseshoe Lake in Granite City, Illinois produced a very cooperative Vesper Sparrow at the end of Bend Road.  It sat up in a bush for everyone to look at in the scope.   There were flocks of Ruddy Ducks with some Scaup, Red-breasted Mergansers, and other ducks, but nothing unusual was found.  Gulls appeared to be noticeably absent.  A large flock of shorebirds flew past near the borrow pits, but they could not be clearly identified.   There was one Great Egret at RT. 111 and I-70.  REDA produced more of the same with duck numbers dropping, but more Blue-winged Teal arriving.   One male Northern Harrier was interesting as I have not seen any there for some time.

David Becher