The downtown Kansas City, Missouri flock of
Great-Tailed Grackles is reaching enormous proportions.
I've been watching them all winter (for the past 6 years)
-- each year the flock seems bigger.  I just counted 4,200
in about 25 minutes as they streamed over like an
endless river.  They were still coming strong as I left.
Best viewing time is just before dusk.  There is a another
flock I usually encounter in Olathe, Kansas-- but I'd say
it isn't more than 1,000 birds (for now!).

I've followed the downtown flock to staging areas before--
it is really loud and the ground is white as... well,
white-wash from thousands of great-tailed grackles.

Matt Gearheart
Overland Park, KS