It was an intoxicating spring morning, with a few new voices added to
the dawn chorus. Driving into Watkins Mill SP (Clay Co.), I had my
first-of-year Eastern Towhee singing, along with Field Sparrows (first
this far north), a very vocal Brown Thrasher, and other expected
residents. Best bird of the morning was my first visual of the Pileated
Woodpecker first reported by Doug Lindeman last fall. It's neat to see
this bird here.

I will also pass along that on 3/24 Doug Willis ran into a patch of
migrants at James A Reed WA (Jackson Co.): 4 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS
(quite early), Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Louisiana Waterthrush, and Winter
Wrens.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)