The Rock Wren was relocated for the second time today by myself and
Doug Willis at 1:50 p.m.

It is at the Apache Motel, Rich Hill, just east of 71 Hwy on B Hwy. The
front of the hotel (the north side) has an eve with a railing mounted
along the front. There's an air conditioning unit on this eve. The
roofline has a facade. There is a strip of landscaping in front of the
building with yuccas and juniper bushes. In the yard between the motel
parking lot and the road, there are some craggy limestone boulders.
That's it for "habitat". The bird actually appears to prefer the air
conditioning unit.

When I arrived at 1:40, I checked the front of the motel and didn't see
the bird. I was walking toward the parking lot for the vacant building
next door when Doug pulled up in his vehicle. We were talking when the
Rock Wren appeared on the railing beside the air conditioning unit. It
was sitting quietly. We decided to set up camp in the vacant lot to try
to get the bird in our scopes. As I walked back to my vehicle, the Rock
Wren popped up on the top of the facade and did its habitual bobbing.
The owner then pulled up in her vehicle and we talked, and the bird
disappeared.

Doug and I waited for 30 minutes and did not see the bird again. Doug
left and I waited an additional 30 minutes and the bird did not make a
repeat appearance. When Doug saw the bird at 11:30 this morning, he
said that the same thing happened: It made a short appearance, then a
large black dog was let out into the parking lot, and the bird never
reappeared. It may be best for folks to quietly watch for the bird from
the vacant parking lot. There is a good view from there.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)