A group of three from Kearney High School braved the weather and joined
me Saturday for the Burroughs Audubon trip to Sunshine and Cooley
Lakes. The rain that loomed in the area all morning actually had little
effect on us, with only some light rain as we scoped the south end of
Sunshine Lake. By the time we made it around to the north end, the
skies were showing some blue. Wind actually ended up being the
difficult element of the day.

We tallied approximately 58 species before noon. Waterfowl variety was
fair at Sunshine Lake (Greater WF Goose, Snow Goose, Wood Duck,
Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal,
Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck). There were also about 40 White
Pelicans. We were surprised that we did not find any shorebirds.
Sparrow-watching was good in the ditches: Vesper, Savannah, Song, and
Lincoln's Sparrows.

We moved on to Cooley Lake CA. It is holding a good amount of water,
but there is hardly any open water due to the fact that it's overgrown
with vegetation. We did put up a few Blue-winged Teal.

The best bird of the day was found at the Cooley Lake river access: One
Osprey soaring overhead.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)