For those of you that want a fairly reliable place to view a yellow-bellied sapsucker, Busch Wildlife Area near St. Louis is the place to look. In 4-5 visits over the last several years, I have been successful all but once.

This past Sunday I took my fiance there--the place to find the sapsucker is on the Fallen Oak Nature Trail which is behind the new nature center. The trees are full of small holes which the birds check regularly. The best place to look is at the bottom of the hill (after passing the bird viewing blind/wall) until the bridge over the creek (be sure and take the straight path, not the one to the right or the left). We viewed a spectacular male bird (almost at the bridge) who afforded us many tremendous looks. It was a life bird for my fiance, and probably only the 6th or 7th bird I have ever seen. You have to be quite alert--they make no vocalizations to alert you as other woodpeckers do.

Good birding,

Debbie

Deb Fortenberry Priest
117 El Rancho Dr.