LITTLE CREVE COEUR LAKE

This afternoon I found that a lot of the area in Little Creve Coeur Lake
(St. Louis County) that had been dry last fall is now filled with water.   I
had hoped to walk out to the area that held the LeConte's Sparrows last
fall, but the water blocked the entry that we had used then.

The water areas had about equal numbers of mallards, pintails ducks and
green-winged teal in fair numbers with a smattering of coots and northern
shovelers thrown in.    Song sparrows were everywhere in very large numbers.
Robins and Red-wing Blackbirds were also plentiful.  At the top of the hill
leading to the dike road there were 4-5 Fox Sparrows.   I did see one snipe
circling up from the first batch of water on the right side of the dike road
coming off the hill.   Did not see any ETS so I assume that they have not
yet returned to their nesting areas near the red barns.

At the north end of the field which is north of the golf driving range there
is a lot of earth-moving activity going on.   I talked to one of the
operators who told me that this is not related to the proposed highway, but,
rather, they are making a retention basin for some of the dredge material
which will be removed from Creve Coeur Lake.   Most of this material will go
into a similar retention pond at the south end of the walking trail around
the lake, but the overflow will be piped under Creve Coeur Mill Rd to this
new retention pond.   This overflow will eventually make a mound 15-18 ft
high I was told.

CREVE COEUR LAKE

Eight Bonaparte's Gulls, 14 Red-breasted Mergansers, a couple of Scaup, one
maybe Pied-billed Grebe (far off and rain coming down) plus the usual
Ring-billed Gulls, Mallards and Canada Geese.

John Solodar