I had my first Turkey Vulture of the year at Muskrat Lake south of Saint
Joseph this morning. I also saw a bird on the utility wire near the "late Juanita
Crockett's" house (the "yellow one") on Crockett Road. I thought at first it
was the "sometimes resident" Northern Mockingbird. Upon closer inspection I
found it to be a Northern Shrike. I suppose it was the same one that frequented
the area during the winter months. I thought that it would have headed back up
north by now, but I guess it likes it here just fine! Continuing east on
Crockett Road, next to Muskrat Lake, I found a Loggerhead Strike. This was the
second Loggerhead of the day as a little earlier I found one by the "green house
with the white-fenced yard", on 54th road. Other than these birds there was
really "nothing to write home about".

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County