Sure, every state has a listserv, but just imagine what kind of email volume you'd have if you waded through entire states' reports when all you wanted to know is what's close to your state's border!?!

Given the two major Missouri cities are border towns, surely Kansas City Missourians would appreciate hearing about a Brown-headed Nuthatch on the Kansas side, and Kansas City Kansans about a Magnificent Frigatebird on the Missouri side. Maybe someone in Garden City, KS or Garden City, MO couldn't care less -- liberal use of the delete key is okay!

Now, if you're talking about 'ordinary' sightings, then I would agree only the 'home' state should have to endure the bluebird and purple martin reports.

I think birders' 'want' to know about unusual birds that are nearby - perhaps just across a political boundary in their own 'back yard'.  Who knows, maybe that Tufted Duck report from IL inspires a Missourian to go look for one in their OWN state!

Chris Hobbs
Shawnee, KS

P. S. Charlene, if you quit posting those interesting IL sightings, I'm going to hunt you down like the birding animal you are!!!