While looking unsuccessfully for the longspurs yesterday, I also saw the SE
Owls (2) hunting from 5:00 until I left after 5:40.  It was pretty amazing
how close they came to my car.  One actually perched on the ground less than
30 ft behind my car next to the road.

This morning, from 8:20-9:30, one of the owls was up hunting.  At one point,
a Sharp-shinned Hawk came diving down on some dicky bird (maybe a Horned
Lark - didn't really see the little guy that well) and the bird flew right
at my car so the hawk had to pull up at the last second to avoid smashing
into my vehicle.  A couple seconds later, the SE owl comes swooping at and
chasing the hawk off, then returns to hunting.  Very neat to witness all
this action.  However, I still missed the longspurs.  Also, the owl has a
very obvious white rump resembling a harrier so be careful if that is the
only mark you pick up.

Jennifer Reidy
Columbia, Boone County