Birds found at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, MO

The predominate birds at the refuge at this time are the waterfowl. One lone
Trumpeter Swan continues to be around the "Cattail Pool" area on the east side
of the refuge. Four species of geese were seen, Canada, Snow, Ross's and
Greater White-fronted. Also seventeen species of ducks were observed:
Mallard, Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, American Wigeon,
Common Goldeneye, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Redhead, Canvasback,
Green-winged Teal, Blue-winged Teal, Ruddy Duck, Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser
and Common Merganser. Besides the usual suspects I also saw two Pine Siskins
high in a tree on the west side of the refuge.

After visiting the refuge I drove over to Big Lake State Park. The lake is
"ringed" with dead fish. There were a lot of Ring-billed Gulls, many blackbirds
(Red-winged, "Brewer's" and Common Grackles) and quite a few Killdeer. I did
not see any shorebirds other than the Killdeer.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County