Well, Edge describes the same bird I saw at about 8:30 this morning.
For about two seconds I thought I had finally added this nemesis bird
to my life list (closest encounter was a Blue-winged x Cinnamon cross
at Squaw Creek a couple years ago)--then I noticed a blue-green gloss
on the upper part of the head. Thought to myself, "Look away now,
because if you keep looking, it will be a hybrid." But I looked anyway.

 From my notes:

--Overall reddish / rusty red
--Red eye
--Head: Reddish with blue-green sheen on upper sides and maybe back of
head; faint crescent behind bill, with some white feathers; small white
crescent or comma in front of eye
--Sides have scaled appearance, not smooth; shoulder shows some
blue-green glossy color
--A hint at a pale hip patch, but no white feathers there

While I watched this bird, it was doing the same head-bobbing display
as the male Blue-winged Teal. The other Blue-winged Teal reacted quite
aggressively toward his enthusiastic display and he spent much of his
time dodging the others.

About 10 Tree Swallows were in the area--year birds for me. I assume
they're recent arrivals.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)