I went to Eagle Bluffs this morning a little after 9, hoping for my
first Boone Co. Cinnamon Teal.  It was not to be.

Passed Kathleen and Harold Anderson on the way in.  They had passed
Kristi Mayo on her way out.  Both Kristi and Kathleen said they had
excellent light conditions that left little doubt the bird observed is a
hybrid Cinnamon Teal/Blue-winged Teal cross.

With full confidence in Kristi's and the Anderson's i.d. skills, I
considered turning around, but the native Missourian gene said, "Go look
for yourself."  So I went on.

The light was great, the wind was awful.  The teal were playing hide and
seek in the reeds.  I parked at the gate on the levee with the eagle
nest and found the blue-winged teal, then the oddball among them.  I put
the scope on it.

The only non-Blue-winged Teal I found displayed these characteristics:

1.  Fairly dim, but definite crescent at base of bill (especially
noticeable on the left side.
2.  Bill not apparently larger than those of the BWTE around it.
3.  Dark spots/vermiculation on the flanks; not solid, one-color flanks.
4.  Overall color not the deep "cinnamon" I'd seen on several birds just
two weeks ago in California.

Regrettably, this is a hybrid.  Perhaps there is a second duck in the
area, but I couldn't find it.  Kristi and/or Kathleen may have
observations to add to this description.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO