I am looking for some advice here..  I saw a gull tonight at REDA that I can not come to ANY conclusions on--This is what I observed:

In Ellis Bay (across from Heron Pond)-not even 75 yards away from me:
*Bird was with ~200 Ring Billed Gulls, appeared to be exactly the same size as them (height wise)
*Noticeably darker mantle than that of the nearby Ring Billed's---Very similar to a  Laughing Gulls mantle (Lesser Black Backed's would be to dark to describe what I saw)
*Head color was a clean white-absolutely no streaking in it (I assume the bird was in breeding plumage)
*bill color was yellow-green, duller than the bills on the Ring Billed Gulls nearby--absolutely no hints of red or black in the bill
*bill shape appeared as long as the Ring Billed's bills, but was thinner.
*Eye was dark and dainty, The orbital ring was red (which made the whole eye appear red)
*The shape of the head was very round
*The leg color was very dull yellow--paler than any of the Ring Billed Gulls legs
*The white in the primaries at rest was the same amount of white as that in the nearby adult Ring Billed's primaries.
*Trailing white edge was obvious in flight---when it finally took off--can not say that I saw the primary tips well enough at that point.
*Tail was clean white in flight.
*Very small white scapular crescent when at rest.

Would love to hear what others think---

Other birds seen from same area in Ellis Bay:
2-Horned Grebes

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
Do you Yahoo!?