Jim and I heard one on Sunday AM at the Turkey Ridge trail parking lot of Rockwood Reservation, St. Louis co, 3/7/04.
He was vocal enough I guess, but was rather skittish for some reason.
We first heard him when getting out of our van and then almost immediately he shot across the Hwy toward the deciduous trees along the stream, sang a bit and then went even further away from us.
We left and returned later to find him back in the parking lot area.
He sang several times but with lengthy pauses in between. The swaying pine trees and him continuously being on the move did not help to try to get a visual. We still didn't see him.
Vocalizing Phoebe and two Pileated woodpeckers were at the entrance to Rockwood.

Had another PINE WARBLER singing on Manchester Road portion of Rockwood, but it was a rather distant song.

Wind is really bad out there.

Good birding,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.