I did my last check of Smithville Lake on March 5 around noon. There
wasn't much of anything to report: a smattering of Common Goldeneye,
Common Mergansers, Bufflehead, Ring-billed Gulls, one Double-crested
Cormorant...

However, things change quickly this time of year. It's always worth a
trip if you have the time, in my opinion. Hopefully someone else has
checked the lake more recently and can respond.

If there isn't anything at Smithville, you may want to check Weston
Bend State Park. At least one Spotted Towhee spent the winter there. I
don't know if it's been seen recently. (Previous location of the
towhee: Go clockwise/left for about 1/4 mile on the bike path from the
bike-path parking lot and check the cedars along the way.)

This probably isn't much help, but just thought I'd post what I know as
I know it...

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)