I birded at Lake Northwoods near Owensville Tuesday and Wednesday, uncovering my first Eastern Phoebe of the year, at least 8 Eastern Meadowlarks on the wires above the agricultural fields, all singing with abandon, Swamp Sparrows, a Golden-Crowned Kinglet, a pair of Killdeer, Cedar Waxwings, tons of Bluebirds, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and an amazing flock of blackbirds, also above the cornfields.  There were thousands, and I stopped the car just to watch and listen. I could hear their wings whirring as they dipped and flowed in intricate patterns, never seeming to be heading in any one direction! I have never seen this huge a flock before.  The only sound was from their wings...otherwise they were silent.  I watched until a policeman stopped, wondering whether I had car problems!  When  I said, no, I'm just birdwatching, I could just imagine the "crazy lady" light go off in his head!

Home in St. Louis today, a pair of Wood Ducks was on the pond to greet me -- but, "my" Eastern Phobe pair has not arrived here, yet.

Linda Yust, Ladue, St. Louis County