\

Dear all,

we are extending the deadline for submissions to our WiG panel on methodologies
(description see below). Please send us your abstract (or, if things are really
hectic right now, at least your signal of interest in this session!) by March
31st. We are looking forward to your exciting ideas (this means: don't be shy,
and don't be lazy! Alles klar? If not, or if you are wondering what the hell we
want with this session, or whether your idea really fits, or whether it's going
to be pretty enough in Kentucky to actually make the trip worthwile, just send
me/us an email!).

Happy spring (break), Claudia

"Methodologies: Literary, Cultural, and Other"

This panel seeks to expand and shift last year’s exploration of
interdisciplinarity by reflecting on the methodologies we have been using - and
could/should/would like to use in the future. What method(ologie)s - from close
reading techniques and post/structuralism to "cultural studies" and beyond -
have been shaping the study of "things German" in the last decades? Where is
our "discipline" going in this regard? Which ways of looking at texts and/or
cultural artefacts are crucial for our - feminist, queer, anti-racial -
scholarly endeavours? What, if anything, constitutes our "disciplinarity"?
Where do we connect with, and disconnect from other disciplines? What is
methodologically innovative scholarship in our field?

Possible areas of investigation include:

the "literature - culture" issue: Where do we situate ourselves in the debate
over "literary analysis vs. cultural studies"? To which degree does the study
of, e.g., films and novels require different forms of expertise? How important
are the differences between individual media for our analyses, and how
important are the overlaps? How do we, in our projects and careers,
productively navigate the vast terrain opened up by cultural studies?
The "texts vs. facts"-divide: Is the gap between literature and sociology or
biology more unbridgeable than that between, e.g., literature and theatre
studies? Where do we connect to/draw on methodologies associated with the
(social and other) sciences? What significance, if any, do issues of
referentiality/links between texts and experiences or histories have in our
work? How do we negotiate issues of referentiality and representation? And,
vice versa: To what degree do the sciences pick up on paradigms of
representation, or, more generally, the method(ologie)s of literary and
cultural studies? How significant will the "facts vs. texts"-divide be in 21st
century academia?

Please send one-to-two page abstracts by March 31st, 2004 to all three
organizers:
Claudia Breger
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and
Ulrike Brisson
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and
Monika Moyrer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Please note: This is the web-based panel. Completed papers will be due August
31, 2004. "Methodologically" diverse forms of presentation are encouraged.
Helga W. Kraft
Professor of Germanic Studies
Head, Department of Germanic Studies
University of Illinois at Chicago
601 South Morgan Street, (MC189)
Chicago, Illinois 60607-7715
Tel. 312-996-3205, Fax 312-413-2377
Email:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.german.uic.edu

--
******************* The German Studies Call for Papers List Editor: Stefani Engelstein Assistant Editor: Karen Eng Sponsored by the University of Missouri Info available at: http://www.missouri.edu/~graswww/resources/gerlistserv.html