We visited the three C.A.'s in the order noted on Monday, 16 February 2004.
We did not stop at Passaic or at 4 Rivers C.A.  Snow/Blue Geese were
everywhere - flying and feeding in fields.  Red-tailed Hawks, American Kestrels (15+),
American Tree Sparrows and White-crowned Sparrows were also plentiful
everywhere.  We saw NO Lapland Longspurs and Horned Larks in singlets or doublets
only.  Species of particular interest are noted below.

Schell-Osage C.A. (St. Clair Co. and Vernon Co.)  The entire area is now open
as Bob Fisher had indicated last month.  Roads are fairly good, but some
portions are a little icy.  Most of the water is frozen, but there is open water
at Atkinson Lake and in spots along streams and ditches.  We did not drive any
of the roads leading to the river.  We did walk the hiking trail.  Great Blue
Herons (12+), Gadwall (4), Northern Pintail (m), Ring-necked Ducks (4), Common
Mergansers (4m), Northern Harriers (5), Red-shouldered Hawk, Bald Eagles (6
imm), American Woodcock (flushed from or near water-filled ditch along hiking
trail), Red-headed Woodpecker (ad), Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flickers (24+),
Pileated Woodpecker, Loggerhead Shrike, Golden-crowned Kinglet (2), Eastern
Bluebirds (2), American Robins (100+), Northern Mockingbird, Cedar Waxwings
(large flock), Yellow-rumped Warblers (3), White-throated Sparrows (4),
White-crowned Sparrows (10+), Fox Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrows (8+).

Taborville Prairie C.A. (St. Clair Co.)  No problems with roads.  Northern
Harriers (3), Cooper's Hawk, Greater Prairie Chicken, Loggerhead Shrike, Horned
Larks (2), Eastern Bluebirds (7), Eastern Meadowlarks (vocalizing).

Montrose C.A.(Henry Co.)  Icy spots on roads, but otherwise clear.  Open wa
ter on Power Plant side, everything else frozen.  Hooded Mergansers (3m, 2f),
Red-headed Woodpecker (juv), Lincoln's Sparrows (2).

Pete and JoAnn Moroz
Lee's Summit, Jackson Co., MO  64086