Ruffed grouse are pretty difficult to breed in captivity, and captive-bred
Ruffed Grouse typically lose all their "wildness." Also, few
aviculturalists keep this species, and I know of no game ranches that try
to stock them. It was quite likely the bird was indeed a wild bird.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau