Gunnar,

Your comments strike me as fundamentally intolerant.  You propose an absolute, that there can be no absolutes, and you find anyone who claims to have had an experience of the Divine that has rendered them certain of anything to be -- what was your term? -- despicable.

And since no one objected to your language, I can only assume such a view is either welcome or innocuous to this list.

How obscene and how heartbreaking.  I have known many, many Christian fundamentalists.  I suspect most of the Americans on the list have as well.  Like Tom, I found some to be annoying, others serene and thoughtful.  Some were very closed, others able to entertain an idea without accepting it.  In other words, they're just like the members of this list in their traits, if not their beliefs.

Tom had the consideration to be reminded of your moments of great charity and compassion.  In the last year, I've heard mostly
anger and hostility from you.   What gives?

Finally, I'm at a loss as to what a true believer -- in anything -- is to do in such an environment as you provide.  If a Muslim has an experience that she believes to have been of the Divine,  would it be loving on her part to remain quiet, to not, in fact, aggressively attempt to convince us of her experience?  If they make no effort, why would I believe they have discovered something meaningful?  Sure, Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, interrupt me and annoy me by knocking at my door, but they are by not inhuman, deserving of your abhorrence, to be deemed "despicable."

So worship all you like at your altar of relativity.  The great thing about such a position is there is nothing to defend.  But if you hold it in such high esteem, show a little tolerance for persons who believe they have learned something true.  Tolerance is something to be extended at least as much as received.

 Justin